Be Holy, Be Happy!

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Look out! On FEBRUARY 17th, it's Analog Armageddon!

HD or HP?

By Kay Parlor

 

Look out!  On FEBRUARY 17th, it’s Analog Armageddon! 

 

The other day, the Feb. 17th date stated flashing on our television screen.  It was yet another in a long list of ways that the television industry has enlisted to inform us that all television transmissions will be digital as of that date.  Enough already!

 

It is no secret to those who know me well that I am not a fan of television.  I once heard someone say that if future archeologists excavated our homes centuries from now, they would conclude that we worshipped the T.V. based on arrangement of furniture facing it, number of sets in the house, etc.  That gives me pause.

 

I must confess that we have two sets in our home, one of which is a high-def-big-screen that the kids and I bought for my husband’s 50th birthday.  Sadly, I succumbed to the marketing hype and now I have no one to blame but myself.  Yes, football is on in HD every weekend of the season in my home.  My dear husband folds the laundry during the games to justify sitting in front of it for so long.  He is much more in control than my 20 year old son, who will not only watch the game for nearly 4 hours but then watch Sports Center rehash EVERY MINUTE of it for another 3 hours!  In fairness, my husband can easily point to my own habit of putting HGTV on while I’m folding clothes and I often linger longer to watch the “reveal”.

 

Television viewing, like anything else, is not a “bad” thing as long as moderation is used.  When television interferes with our family time, our prayer life, getting to Mass, etc. we have a problem.  Some families have gone into debt to have the “theatre experience” in their homes.  Are we more concerned with HD (high definition) or HP (our Higher Power)?

 

As we begin a new year, it is good to take stock and see those areas in our life where we have let the pull of outside influences infringe on our placing God first in our lives.  What unhealthy idols have we latched onto?  Let’s pray for each other, that we can strive to overcome them!

 


Share/Bookmark

No comments: