Be Holy, Be Happy!

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Our Lady of Trust Novena Day 6, March 2, 2011

Luke 2:41-52    The Boy Jesus in The Temple

41 Now every year his parents went to Jerusalem for the festival of the Passover. 42 And when he was twelve years old, they went up as usual for the festival. 43 When the festival was ended and they started to return, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem, but his parents did not know it. 44 Assuming that he was in the group of travelers, they went a day's journey. Then they started to look for him among their relatives and friends. 45 When they did not find him, they returned to Jerusalem to search for him. 46 After three days they found him in the temple, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. 47 And all who heard him were amazed at his understanding and his answers. 48 When his parents saw him they were astonished; and his mother said to him, "Child, why have you treated us like this? Look, your father and I have been searching for you in great anxiety."


49 He said to them, "Why were you searching for me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father's house?" 50 But they did not understand what he said to them. 51 Then he went down with them and came to Nazareth, and was obedient to them. His mother treasured all these things in her heart. 52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and in years, and in divine and human favor

The Boy Jesus in the Temple

And when he was twelve years old, they went up as usual for the festival. Luke 2:42 This has become on of my favorite verses in scripture. Jesus, twelve years old! I have spent a lifetime meditating on Jesus as a baby and as an adult. True, there is much to learn in this scripture and I have meditated on Jesus in the Temple many times during my life in a variety of ways. This past year, I was invited to meditate and contemplate on Jesus in the temple for a class I was taking and I couldn’t get over the fact that he was twelve. Twelve-year-old Jesus warmed my heart and brought a smile to my face and joy to my heart. I am blessed with two sons and I am blessed with all their friends. There are times in my life that I have been surrounded by twelve year old boys and I believe that the heart of a twelve year old boy today isn’t much different than twelve year old Jesus.

It has been my experience with twelve-year-old boys is that they really don’t walk; they jump, run and bounce into each other. Twelve-year-old boys are curious and they seem to be interested in sticks, (to write with, walk with and hit things with) and rocks (keep the interesting ones in your pocket and throw the others like a baseball) and they just don’t see things they find the need to investigate them (bugs, leaves, mud etc.) This is the way I imagine Jesus going to Jerusalem, playing with other boys his age, his relatives and friends, joyfully running, jumping, investigating, throwing and bouncing into each other.

Twelve-year-old boys do sometimes get lost. When looking for a twelve-year-old boy you will usually find him where his heart is. Places I have found my lost twelve-year-old boys are at skateboard parks, baseball fields, and football fields and at basketball hoops. I have found my twelve-year-old boys on mountain trails, on lakeshores and seashores. Twelve year olds have been found in hanging out in malls, music stores or at a friend’s house playing video games. Remember they go to where their heart leads them. So, when Mary and Joseph were looking for their twelve year old Jesus they found him where is heart was. After three days they found him in the temple, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking questions. And all who heard him were amazed at his understanding and his answers. Luke 2:46-47

When his parents saw him they were astonished; and his mother said to him “Child, why have you treated us like this? Look, your father and I have been searching for you in great anxiety” Luke 2:48. I think all parents have said these words to their children at one time or another! We will soon see that Jesus meant no harm and Jesus answers them like a twelve year old. He said to them “Why were you searching for me? Did you not know I must be in my Father’s house? But they did not understand what he said to them. Luke 2:49-50 In the end Jesus goes home and this event becomes something that Mary treasures in her heart. Luke 2:51

Mary and Joseph did not control every move Jesus made. Mary and Joseph let Jesus be twelve; they let Jesus be himself, even if that meant that there were going to be some bumps on the way Look, your father and I have been searching for you in great anxiety. Luke 2:48. (I do realize that to look for someone for three days is more than a bump) I enjoy this family story. I imagine Mary and Joseph retelling this story as Jesus grows older. “ Remember when Jesus was twelve and we went to Jerusalem…”

My heart overflows with love for twelve-year-old Jesus. I treasure this glimpse of the life of the holy family.

(Judie Kosko, Cooperative, CA)
Share/Bookmark

No comments: