Be Holy, Be Happy!

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Pope Benedict Spe Salvi - Reflections on Hope - Days 8 and 9

Eternal life - what is it?
9. But to live always, without end-this, all things considered, can only be monotonous and ultimately unbearable. This is precisely the point made, for example, by Saint Ambrose, one of the Church Fathers, in the funeral discourse for his deceased brother Satyrus: "Death was not part of nature; it became part of nature. God did not decree death from the beginning; he prescribed it as a remedy. Human life, because of sin ... began to experience the burden of wretchedness in unremitting labour and unbearable sorrow.

Reflection by Msgr. Vaccari
Healthy people do not want to die. And when death comes, living forever seems to be the way around it. Who hasn't tried in some way to turn back the clock, to recapture an earlier, healthier, younger day in life? An older athlete tries to accomplish one more heroic feat, and maybe for a moment or two, escape the inevitable effect of aging. The media advertise all kinds of illusions to make it seem as though time stands still. As a Christian, I see aging not as something negative but as moving closer toward the goal of life, the hope I have in Christ. Only then does the direction of my life and of my heart find its real meaning. Without a fixed goal, life would be more and more difficult. How hard it would be if we aged and grew weaker, but had no ending point! No real transition to what is eternal and lasts forever in joy in the peace of Christ.

-------------------------------------------
Seeking the Good and True Shepherd
8. The true shepherd is one who knows even the path that passes through the valley of death;
one who walks with me even on the path of final solitude, where no one can accompany me, guiding me through: he himself has walked this path, he has descended into the kingdom of death, he has conquered death, and he has returned to accompany us now and to give us the certainty that, together with him, we can find a way through. The realization that there is One who even in death accompanies me, and with his "rod and his staff comforts me", so that "I fear no evil" (cf. Ps 23 [22]:4)-this was the new "hope" that arose over the life of believers.I do believe Lord, help my unbelief.

Reflection by Teresa Monaghen:
I am very aware that a good shepherd is hard to find. No one seems ready for leadership. Everyone wants to be in charge, but a true leader guides and strengthens those he attends to and the sheep know the shepherd as GOOD! This week was different, we did have a very clear glimpse of what a good shepherd could look like. We saw the example in our holy Father who gently but firmly walked among us, guided us, tenderly but firmly encouraged us and deeply prayed for us. What an amazing experiences. And just think, that the Holy Father is a reflection of the good and Eternal Father, who is all of this and MORE! How grateful I am for our Holy Father and how much more for my Father in heaven. He always seeks me out and invites me to the good and nutritious pastures. He will lift me up in his arms when I am lost. He is my shepherd for eternity.

Thank you, Lord, I trust in you!
Share/Bookmark

No comments: