Be Holy, Be Happy!

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

World Youth Day Jounal: Adoration

Friday, July 18th: I was more excited than ever to sing and dance to the song we learned yesterday at catechesis because the two ladies in my small group missed it yesterday and were going to experience it today. First, we learned a third song/dance, although I still liked yesterday's better. The "animation team" invited the brave ones in the crowd to join them in dancing to that first song they taught us. So I got up on stage and danced (tall people in the back) alongside the bishop of a northeast diocese in India. It was the last day for catechesis, although it didn't dawn on me at the time, and I was a bit punchy today. The approach and antics of the emcee were getting to me and I am ashamed of my "humorous" and snappy comments that I made throughout the morning, under my breath. On a more positive note, the bishop gave a great catechesis on the Holy Spirit being the principal agent of mission:

- When we "receive power," as it states in Act 1:8, this is the power of God.
- "Witness" comes from "martyr".
- "Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~Ghandi
- Filled with the Holy Spirit, we feel that it is our duty to be witnesses to the world.
- World Youth Day is a manifestation of our Christian mission.
- The Holy Spirit instills us with Divine Charity.
- We can never separate holiness from our mission.
- Mission is not an option. It is in our hearts.

Just before Mass, we pilgrims were asked to come up and share a testimony of what WYD has meant to us so far. I was impressed with the diversity of witnessing given. I was glad we stayed for Mass. The cantors were from a large group in Minnesota. We sang "Here I am to Worship", "Blessed be Your Name", and "How Great is Our God". Now, as much as I love those well-known worship songs, I am disappointed they didn't pick songs from Catholic artists during this Catholic celebration. On the positive side, you can't accuse the Catholics of being exclusive to others.

The lunch truck was super late so my expanded-small group (young and older) went to McDonalds. Since it's Friday, I got the Fish Fillet...it was pretty good. On the train ride into Sydney we discussed our plans for the day. The seniors decided to try and catch today's big event, the Stations of the Cross, at Mary's place (Fr. Paul's friend). I kept debating what to do because it is my favorite devotion, but I didn't think this would have been the same (since everyone is assigned a place and stays there for the three hours while the liturgical leads went from place to place). I finally decided to go up to the top of Sydney Tower first. My normal small group came too. I figured that I'd be up and down in time to catch the last 30 minutes of the Stations at my designated area.

The line into the Sydney Tower wasn't too long. Of course the view was beautiful, and the binocular thingys that cost money to look through and are bigger than your head...they were free! They even have upper level and lower level viewing areas. Unfortunately, the line to get back down took about an hour and a half. So, the sun was down before we were. And, as beautiful as the sky was at that time, my place in the line to get down was out of the view of the actual sunset. I knew I missed the last part of the stations so, instead of going to Barangaroo when I finally was on street level, I went straight to the Sydney Opera House. The other three went to catch Christopher West's final talk. Before I mention why I went to the Opera House, I want to emphasis that I missed an amazing rendition of the Stations of the Cross. It was almost a different devotional all-together and had a "Passion Play" feel to it. Some of the stations themselves were different than what I am used to. I am truly sorry I skipped out on it live. I am endlessly grateful for EWTN being there to record it. When I got back to the States, I was able to catch their broadcast of it over the web. It was phenomenal. The commentary was helpful and the insights and reflections offered by Jason Everett and Fr. Mark Mary were incredibly poignant and moving...I strongly encourage everyone to make some time out of your day (or even spread it out over a couple of days) to watch the entire 4 hour program. Make a mini-retreat for yourself out of this, you will not be disappointed. Visit http://www.ewtn.com/wyd2008/watch.htm.

O.K., back to Sydney Opera House. When I arrived, it was time to eat. It's Friday, so I chose not to have the stew and eat what I packed with me. I walked out to the end of the peninsula the Opera House is built on and sat on the railing separating me from the water. It was then that I finally had that moment where it sunk in that I was actually in Sydney, Australia. With the sound of the water behind me, the full moon rising to the left of me, the Sydney Opera House lit up right in front of me, and the Harbor Bridge to the right of me. I thought to myself, "who am I that I get to be here?" I thanked God for that moment. When I finished my casual meal I entered one of the smaller side theaters where Mother Theresa's Missionaries of Charity were hosting Eucharistic Adoration. they even had a relic of Mother Theresa (it looked like a blood stained piece of cotton). The entrance was also the upper level - balcony - where confessions were being heard so I went to the lower level to begin my time with Jesus. I had a tough time concentrating because I was in a high traffic area. After a short while I decided I should go to Reconciliation. I had a great view of Jesus while the priest offered practical and spiritual advice and I let Him minister to my heart. I went back down stairs and focused on the penance. By the time I left there was a long line to get in! I was overjoyed at the experience and the night was just beginning.


My next stop was to Barangaroo where the "Receive the Power! Live" concert was going on. Although I missed the world-famous Hillsong United band, I got there just in time to hear John Pridmore give the 10 minute edition of his conversion story from the gangster life to letting God free him. Check him out at http://www.johnpridmore.com/. Then Matt Maher and his band took the stage. As one of the best Catholic bands in the world, they lead worship like none other. This time, they had a top-notch, Australian teen choir backing them up as well. Absolutely powerful. Better still, as is included with most Matt Maher concerts, the night was topped off when the Blessed Sacrament was brought to the front of the outdoor stage. With thousands upon thousands in attendance, we adored Christ together while Matt Maher lead us in a couple of worship songs! These events are open to all, so there were non-Catholics in attendance. The Holy Spirit was moving in a powerful way tonight. It was marvelous.
Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

AnnaW said...

Thanks for this article, I love hearing stories from WYD Sydney :) I didn't want it to end, it was the best experiece of my life!

Did you know that there is a 50-day reunion for wyd happening online on xt3.com? I reckon you should all sign up, its pretty awesome that we can connect again 50-days after the event... I can't wait!