Be Holy, Be Happy!

Monday, August 18, 2008

World Youth Day Journal: The Pope Arrives

Thursday, July 17: Another "comfortable" night in my new sleeping bag. Although, my morning didn't start off too great. I forgot my towel in the room when I went to take a shower... I was never exactly sure what the temperature was at any given time, but my guess is, in the morning it was probably 38-40 degrees Fahrenheit. Needless to say, that was a chili run back to the room to retrieve my towel.

Morning catechesis began with a new song. I wasn't too keen on it at first, but once I included myself in the actions I enjoyed it more than yesterday's song, which we sang right after the new one. Before the "keynote speaker" a local priest said a few words about Reconciliation and invited us to the Sacrament as it was being offered in the back of the room for the entire morning. He did an outstanding job explaining just what Reconciliation is and did it with a great sense of humor. Several priests (maybe six to eight) offered their time for the Sacrament and the line was long and steady throughout the morning. The keynote was by the Archbishop of Guam. His main speech was pretty good as he spoke on how the Holy Spirit is the Soul of the Church. Unfortunately, I didn't take good notes:
Jesus was simple/focused - anchored in His Love for His Father. So, how are we to become focused and have zeal for God? Look hard at the crucifix.

The Q&A portion had a lot more questions than yesterday but I was not impressed with how they were answered. I'm usually not one to leave early from anything, but this was one of the things that convinced me to duck out with my "small group" as the Q&A was finishing. The other thing that convinced me to leave before Mass was that a quick look at our Liturgy Guide (given to every pilgrim) made me think the Pope was saying a short Mass just after his arrival in the afternoon. In all actuality, he would lead in a quick Liturgy of the Word. Ooops.

My small group went into Sydney, hopping off the train at the St. James station. They checked out the merchandise tent near St. Mary Cathedral while I looked for lunch. I was told lunch was only being served near the convention center (Darling Harbor), so we started going that way. Once there, we decided to go straight to our designated place in Barangaroo for the Pope's celebrated arrival. It seemed that all the WYD Volunteers gave us different info about lunch so two of us stopped in at a bay side sandwich shop and ordered food for the small group. It was really good food and we later found out that if we stayed at the catechesis site we wouldn't have gotten lunch anyway because their shipment never came.

Our assigned location for the Pope's arrival was right in front of the main stage, but all the way at the back. Luckily, we were able to move to a closer section, but the stage was still in the way of getting a good glimpse of the "boatacade" he first came in on. Once he docked, he got into the "Popemobile" and took the short drive to the stage. The crowd was buzzing with excitement. People were standing on the barricades, trying to get a height advantage. The big-screens were a blessing, but certainly no replacement for the first, real sighting one has of such a figurehead. When B-XI was on the stage, the greetings/formalities out of the way (which actually weren't all that boring) he lead us in a short Liturgy of the Word, including a homily:
He greeted us with encouragement in our responsibilities to the environment and social justice. Life is a search for the good, truth, freedom, and is not just a string of experiences. Christ offers more! He continued along the theme of our catechesis from the morning.




Unfortunately (and surprisingly), it was hard to focus because there were several in the immediate vicinity who were not always paying attention. Either that, or they are really good at multitasking. All-in-all, it was a surreal but positively great experience seeing the Pope in person for the first time. The build-up and the excitement were a lot of fun. I really enjoyed as he spoke for a bit in each of the "official languages of WYD". As he addressed the people in a different language, the pilgrims who spoke that language would erupt in cheer. The event ended with everyone singing the WYD theme song, "Receive the Power". That was a powerful, unifying experience.

Our group went their separate ways to the concerts, workshops, or sightseeing. My small group planned on seeing Christopher West again and the seniors hadn't quite decided where they wanted to go yet, so they came with us. I was very excited to aid in spreading the Theology of the Body to an older generation and get their feedback. But that was hours away yet.

Crowd control led us out of Barangaroo in the opposite way than where we wanted to go, but the crowd was full of jubilee and made the extra long walk a lot of fun. We stopped at a popular bar for some rest and replenishment. I lost fun game of pool to one of the older men in my growing small group. The game took longer than expected and we found ourselves in a rush to get to a good position by the doors of the scheduled venue in plenty of time for Christopher West. As Murphy's Law would have it, when we got there, we were told the venue had changed to be at the convention center (the same room he was in the night before). Really feeling the crunch for time, myself and another younger guy decided to speed ahead and get to the convention center and solidify our place in line, knowing there was going to be a huge and angst-driven crowd. Right before the two of us sped ahead, I happened across a young, newly wedded couple from Iowa State University, who added WYD to the end of their original honeymoon plans. They wanted to see Mr. West but didn't know where the convention center was, so I made sure they followed us. Considering the density of the crowd and the almost frantic pace, it's times like those that I love being 6'3" with an easily recognizable beard. It was an exciting, fast-paced walk, through Sydney, getting to hear the short-short version of the newlyweds' story.

We got there with excellent position in front of the door but I thought there were other entry points that wouldn't be as crowded because they weren't as well known. I went to find them and came up empty. I still have no idea where those extra doors I saw from inside the room lead to. But I can't really say I came up empty, because I did find a counter loaded with free copies of Catholic Answers' booklet containing two tracts: "Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth" and Jason Evert's "Pure Love". So I grabbed one for each of the young adults in my small group. Upon my return towards the doors of the lecture hall Mr. West was to present, security had already closed off the entry points into the hallway for crowd control. The room's doors hadn't been opened yet and I had no idea if the rest of my small group made it into the line before this. Plus, I wasn't sure I would get a seat anymore. Eventually, I did get in and found the rest of my small group, handed them the booklets and enjoyed Mr. West's "The Love that Satisfies: An Introduction to Pope Benedict's Teaching on Erotic and Divine Love." Here are my notes:
Within the context of "Deus Caritas Est": Eros = Love between man and woman (more specifically, marital relations); Agape = Love between God and Man (more specifically between Jesus & the Church).

The male-female difference is meant to reflect/express God's Love in eros & agape.
Question everything with sincerity and you'll be taken straight to the Eucharist, because Jesus is the Truth, Way & Life. There is a place in everyone that no one can touch. But in that small, still space in the quite, God is there. In the Eucharist, God's agape love is bodily. The body is capable of showing us the spiritual. The challenge of eros is learning to love fully as Christ.

The vocation of a consecrated celebate does not say "sex is bad" - it says "Heaven is real." Consecrated celebates participate more directly in the banquet at the heavenly wedding feast. They signify that they are not losing anything, but gaining everything. They are the signs that point everyone else of heavenly Love.


Share/Bookmark

No comments: