Be Holy, Be Happy!

Friday, October 25, 2013

All Saints Day Novena Day 3

As we continue to reflect on The Gospel Maximum of Love by Bishop Giaquinta we see his predominant theme of  disdain for Christians who do just the minimum to get by when Christ gave everything He had for us.  He writes: “(R)eductionism has been at fault in undermining true Christianity.  It has been reduced from its true nature of maximum love into an easy and accommodating spiritual minimalism.  Christianity no longer is lived as a great ideal; it has become a complex of catalogued obligations, observed with the indispensable minimum to reach the promised reign of heaven”.

As I read this my first inclination is to say that I do not fall into this category, that I am very active in my parish and volunteer much of my time for causes that are loving and just. 

But as I reflect more deeply I know how little I truly use the multitude of gifts that God has given me:  gifts of time that I would much rather spend watching a movie than truly sharing love and concern with a friend, gifts of  financial resources  that I would much rather spend on dinner out than  to ever give so much that I had to deny myself something that I really wanted, gifts of talent that I would rather use by myself in my own room than with  a nursing home full of lonely people who would  truly enjoy an afternoon sing a long.  Maybe there are others who are experiencing the same conviction that I am as they read these words


Dear Jesus  Please help me find and make the opportunities to truly use my time, talent, and treasure to the maximum.   I trust that you will  open the doors if I just listen for your prompting.  

Share/Bookmark

No comments: