Be Holy, Be Happy!

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Novena for the Celebration of the Universal Call to Holiness - Day Four


Day Four by Pro Sanctity Member.Marcus Knecht


1 Cor 8:13 ~ "Therefore, if food causes my brother to sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I may not cause my brother to sin."


Paul teaches the church in Cornith that it's wise not to eat meat that has been sacrificed to idols and pagan gods - not because there is any merit to the sacrifices, but because new Christians (who used to partake in such food under different beliefs) might not realize this, and be scandalized/confused. Paul teaches us about accountability on a deeper level. Not only are we held accountable for our own actions in-and-of-themselves, but also (to a certain extent) for what they cause others to do or convince them to believe. Obviously, eating food sustains us, which is a general good. How we obtain that food or the steps that are taken to bring that food to us might cause scandal or be offensive to those immediately around us. So, Paul isn't telling us to become vegetarians, he is telling us to be aware of our surroundings. Get to know those who are around us. We are given a lesson in relationship. The type of relations hip that fosters communion, not confusion. This takes time, heart, and energy.


Bishop Giaquinta realizes, like Paul, that this begins with our personal decisions: "I must be the first one to start my inner conversion. I must be the one to love my brother and not deceive him. I must be the first one to help him, to understand him. I must be the first one of all to convert my family if I want it changed. I must be the one first of all, if I want to transform this world."


What choices do I usually make, actions that I usually take, phrases that I'm known for saying that may cause others around me to question my Christianity? How can I transform the world if I am not in the process of transforming myself first?


Share/Bookmark

No comments: