Be Holy, Be Happy!

Friday, April 3, 2009

Pro Sanctity Reflects on the Stations of the Cross

Sixth Station: Veronica Wipes the Face of Jesus
We adore You, O Christ and we praise You, because by Your holy cross You have redeemed the world.

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For as we share abundantly in Christ's sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too. If we are afflicted, it is for your comfort and salvation; and if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which you experience when you patiently endure the same sufferings that we suffer. Our hope for you is unshaken; for we know that as you share in our sufferings, you will also share in our comfort. (2 Corinthians 1:3-7)

I have always been partial to Veronica ministering to Jesus, wiping the blood from her Lord's brow that was no doubt running into His eyes. The moment they shared was probably so very deep, so intimate and probably profound in the love that flowed not only from His wounds in His blood, but the love that flowed from His gaze into her tear-filled eyes. She was consoling Him by being there on that last agonizing journey up the hill to Golgatha.

I want to console Jesus in and with my own life, by simply being "little" and trying my best every day to conform my will to His. Wiping His brow with prayers for peace in our world. Prayers for sinners to repent. Prayers for my loved ones who need His love and forgiveness. To aspire to the call to holiness, and make more conscious effort to stop myself when I'm tempted to complain, or grumble about this or that. To offer up any suffering, the greatest and the least, emotional/mental or physical for the conversion of sinners and deeper conversion of my own heart, so that finally one day I'll see Mary my Mother welcoming me, her little prodigal daughter, into her arms, holding me close to her Immaculate Heart, to be forever joined to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. With all the Saints who've gone on before us, I hope to attain heaven and than Veronica for her example. St. Veronica, please pray for us that we'll offer our lives to "wipe Jesus' brow" in others we meet, to minister to our priests in their loneliness and their burdens, as a sacrifice to console the wounded heart of Mary, and thereby consoling our Lord's own heart, forever meshed with the heart of His Mother.
Submitted by Susie Melkus, Nebraska

O JESUS, what a gracious gift you gave that courageous woman in the midst of your own suffering. Please help me, like Veronica, to aid those who are struggling with their crosses. Help me to gently wipe my neighbor’s brow and to offer whatever small comfort I can to aid him or her on the journey. Fill me with love and compassion. Amen.

The sixth station is the one that I relate to the most. My confirmation name is Veronica, and it still appeals to me as much as it did when I was confirmed thirty or forty years ago. That spirit of aiding someone who is struggling really speaks to me.
Submitted by Davi
Holy Mother, impress into my heart the wounds of your Son.
Share/Bookmark

No comments: