Be Holy, Be Happy!

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Pausing with Mary under the Father's Loving Gaze

"Imagine how tender Mary’s prayer was to the Father, whenever she looked at the Son with her heart filled with gratitude: 'Thank you, Father, for you have given me the gift of Your Son.'  The joy she must have experienced because she could repeat the words of the Father: 'You are my Son; today I have begotten you.'  The difference is that the 'today' of Mary is in time and space, while the 'today' of the Father is from eternity.  How did Mary live this marvelous reality?  Mary’s canticle, the Magnificat, helps us understand.  Faced with these marvelous realities which begin with the Annunciation and Incarnation, we wonder at the light that must have pervaded Mary’s soul, so that she can say: 'He who is mighty has done great things for me' (Luke 1:49).  And if Mary is says this from the beginning, that is, during her visit to Elizabeth, who knows how many more times she repeated her Magnificat to the Father?  And who knows the love that united her to Jesus in His prayer to the Father during His deepest suffering: 'My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?' (Mark 16:34)." (Bishop Giaquinta, Face of the Father)

Share/Bookmark

No comments: