Be Holy, Be Happy!

Friday, March 26, 2010

Reflections on the Cenacle - Chapter 12

Friday, March 26, 2010
Cenacle reflection.Be Brothers and Sisters
Teresa Monaghen

"There is no other love than to lay down one's life for one's friends."

What does this mean? Or how would I know if my love was indeed full, to overflowing?"
What keeps me from being brother or sister to the other? Where am I called
to be the first to take down the barriers?
I first and foremost must stay connected - Priest to Jesus; Jesus (through
the hands of the priest) to the people.

This is such a difficult area, precisely because it is so clear and the command of the Lord so precise that we spend most of our time trying to avoid its truth and live in the shadows of love rather than wholeheartedly embracing it. The Apostle must be filled with the love of the Father and of Christ and as a consequence can only love the others; there is no excuse, no option, nor any other way! Our actions as followers of Jesus, priest and people, must prove that we understand the commandment of fraternal love. "There is NO other love than to LAY down one's life for one's friends" NO other love.whew! In our hearts we are called to listen to the other, thank the other, notice the other, pray for the other and lay down our lives for the other. Not only love in proximity of each other, sitting around a table, in the home, at a meeting, in the office, in the Church, but more. We are asked even more. We are called to be of one mind and heart.

Our Founder boldly invites us to reclaim true fraternal and priestly love. Mediocrity is to live a life of love according to my likes and avoid what and whom I dislike.this is not acceptable. Only by loving unconditionally which requires me to lay down my life for the other, will I know the love of Christ's love. I cannot do it, but I can give permission to the Lord to love in me, through me, and thus love the other when I cannot. This is the grace of our union with Jesus. This is the intimacy and oneness with the Lord that will allow us to be Christ for and to the other.

I cannot love you - the other, but Christ living in me loves you and he loves you all the way.

May this love of Christ overflow in my life to ALL. Amen.


Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Cathy L said...

"There is NO other love than to LAY down one's life for one's friends" Our enemies, too. How do we do this? I believe it must be in sincere prayer for the other/enemy, especially since most of us aren't physically in the "line of fire". I have to confess that right now, for me, that means most of our governmental body, especially those who claim to be Catholic. Jesus, Lord, give me the humility, love and ability to offer my prayers sincerely for those who oppose Your teachings and those of Your church.

The Pro Sanctity Family said...

Dear Cathy, yes, the only way is ask the Lord to pray for those we struggle with and see them with his eyes and heart. All are children of the Father and all are love, we pray against their actions that mar the face of Jesus in them. Teresa