Be Holy, Be Happy!

Friday, June 11, 2010

Founders Novena Day 7, June 12th 2010

When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at the knees of Jesus and said, "Depart from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man."   Luke 5:8. 

After my first reading of this verse, I had thought about focusing on the love and forgiveness of Jesus displayed later in the passage.  I have since changed my mind.

 I am struck by the humility of Peter in this passage.  Peter could have just laughed and been overjoyed at their good fortune after the catch.  Instead, as was proper for the occasion, he was filled with fear and trembling.  I fear too often in my own life, I take the love and grace of God for granted, in knowing that he will forgive me I push my sinfulness and bad habits to the side.  I need to learn a lesson from Peter. 

Bishop Giaquinta, please pray with us that we will learn what Peter did that day-- to fear the Lord with trembling and confess our sins wtih a sincere heart   
Share/Bookmark

No comments: