Be Holy, Be Happy!

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Explosive Gospel series



October 14, 2012

Explosive Gospel for the Year of Faith

Twenty-eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time Lectionary: 143

He replied and said to him,
"Teacher, all of these I have observed from my youth."
Jesus, looking at him, loved him and said to him,
"You are lacking in one thing.
Go, sell what you have, and give to the poor
and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me."
At that statement his face fell,
moreover, he went away sad, for he had many possessions.
-------------------------------
Reflection"

Almost everyday I have the opportunity and privilege to listen to persons share their inner stories, and it never ceases to amaze me that when they voice discontent, distraction, sense of God being there but feeling Him faraway...they say things like, "I just don't have the clarity that I need. It does not seem that God is answering me." Their sadness troubles me, and in my own heart, I too lament. "Why does it have to be this way? Where is the Lord in all of this? Why am I feeling overwhelmed? How can I handle this situation or that situation? I feel sad and disorientated...” Strange?

The passage of Mark seems to be about possessions and stuff, but I believe it is really about the lack of allowing oneself to be possessed by the Lord. In the spirit of our Lady, who paused, pondered and discovered that in relating all to the Lord, the Holy Spirit filled her with the clarity of what was truly important, what were the priorities, directions, answers, security... She felt lifted up and concluded with rejoicing. On the other hand, I cry, and I walk away sad - similar to the rich young man who had many possessions.

Perhaps if the rich young man had shared his dilemma and difficulty of letting go of his possession with the Lord, he would have looked up in and seen the loving gaze of the Lord. Sharing it with the Lord would have lifted him up in hope, aware that the Lord would show him how to sell all and give to the poor. In the same vein, I too must tell Jesus everything. This gospel invites me to let go of my chief possessions, my ego. Oh what a burden is my self reliance, the "I have to figure it out syndrome" that makes me sad! Instead, I am invited to turn to the Lord with everything in my heart, especially the questions. It is time to stop looking at myself, in its place see the Lord gazing on me in love, and receive the real treasure of union and communion with him. This awareness is truth and is heaven on earth!

In addition, what about those persons who come to me to share their inner lives of discontent and distraction, of feeling far away from the Lord?  I invite them to turn their eyes to the Lord more often, assisting them to habitually look up and see him looking at them, they too will find "heaven on earth" in the loving presence of the Lord in the midst of their daily life. His love will give clarity in their decisions in union with him, and deep inner security in a real friendship with Him who is not faraway but as close as a lover to a beloved can be.

 Oh Lord, I give it all to you, all my inner needs that I hold onto like possessions. I pray for those who come to me, that they too will see your face and gaze of love giving them the real answer to all their need of your love! Lord, I do believe in your love, help my unbelief. Amen.

Share/Bookmark

No comments: