Be Holy, Be Happy!

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Immaculate Conception Novena Day 6 12-5-2010

Holy Mary, Mother of God, let me keep a heart of a child, pure and transparent like springwater. Let me have a simple heart that does not linger to relish its own sorrows. A heart rich in giving, and easily moved to compassion; a faithful and generous heart that does not forget a good deed, yet it does not hold a grudge for an evil one. Make my heart humble, capable of loving without demanding to be loved in return, happy to lose itself within other hearts and to sacrifice itself before Your divine Son. A great and indomitable heart that no ungratefulness may close and no indifference may wear out. A heart tormented by the passion and glory of Jesus Christ, wounded by his love with a deep wound that will heal only in heaven.    (L. de Grandmaison)

The dictionary defines sacrifice as "the surrender or destruction of something prized or desirable for the sake of something considered as having a higher or more pressing claim".   When Mary said yes to the angel she sacrificed her own will and choice of what her life would be for the sake of the love to which she was called, and the God who was asking this of her.  Here again I know that I need to learn from Mary's example because I sacrifice so little for the God I claim to love. 

Dear Mother Mary,

Please ask your son to show me where I need to sacrifice for His sake.  What time or talent or resource or act of love do I selfishly hold to myself that I know belongs to Him alone.  Show me this day and in the days to come specific ways to step out of myself and show your love to others. 
Share/Bookmark

No comments: