A focal point or theme for Advent this year was quite literally ‘forced upon me,’ when over the course of 8 days at the beginning of December, my prayer sources and spiritual reading contained 6 references to following the will of God.
1. Jesus’ prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane: “My Father, if it is not possible that this cup pass without my drinking it, your will be done.”
2. Mary’s response to the Angel Gabriel: “May it be done to me according to your word.”
3. Advice before starting to pray: Open ourselves to God’s will for men.
4. St. Teresa of Avila: “Those who give themselves up to prayer must …be ready to conform their will to the will of God.”
5. Ask Jesus for the grace to deal with our problems bravely, yet surrender ourselves to God’s will.
6. Begin every prayer with the Sign of the Cross to remind us to conform to God’s will.
What better way to spend Advent than focusing on doing the will of God?